Welcome everyone to the Southwest Fall Home Cure! We're at the beginning, we're excited, we're daunted, we're starting something that will make our homes feels great. Use this momentum to get off to a great start, but don't burn yourself out! This week we get to know our homes and create a vision for how we'd like them to be, we lay out a road map and then we jump in. Links, assignments and a full roster of Southwest Curees:
bought some gorgeous tulips for her first week
Welcome to Everyone Who Signed Up for the Southwest Cure!
wrathinla, LisaMakes, keemka, micheleyu, chusmabilly, veaz, abbee3, SydneyB, kelbel, IPreferAngie, Ruma Mildwater, pink_pants, Kelly:), Deglazer, dbianca23, nicole_F, ARemade, Seaside, lagirl358, handprint, edie, noaccountingfortaste, Rhi, sparkle, betabethany, MosesMonster, kfab, octaviaorca, BellaEBrutto, sandiegoAT, stephanieokay
lsmorie, misanthropic777, nae02etc, animalhouze, J.L, tamar
krisalis903, paulam26, ashleym, owentx
Hopefully you've had a chance to read up to the end of the first chapter and have 1) taken the quiz and 2) mopped the floors. This is how you can get in touch with what your home feels like and start wrangling in what kinds of changes you want to make. Now decide if you're doing the deep treatment or the one room workout. No matter which one you choose, remember to use us as a resource, ask us questions, ask for help, be nice to yourself and your home. You don't have to do it all at once, just do what you can of each week's assignments and you'll be making great progress!
is working on adding some color to the bedroom
built this faux mantle and takes it to each new apartment for some instant architectural interest.
This week is all about gaining some momentum and breathing some life into your home. How do we do this? We start by mopping or vacuuming the floors, buying ourselves flowers and taking one thing out of the house and putting it out on the street. Once you've made some space for yourself, start collecting inspiration for your style tray!
• Make a complete list of repairs and solutions.
• Vacuum and mop the floors.
• Remove one item from your apartment and put it outside
• Buy Fresh Flowers (get creative here, you can add branches from the garden, fall leaves from the park, a big green leaf from a plant you have growing, etc).
• Sit for 10 minutes in a part of you home that you never sit in.
• Invest in some eco friendly cleaning products.
One Room Remedy:
• Choose one room
• Gather up a style tray
• Visit your favorite home store
• Set a budget
has an enviable style tray going--don't forget you guys can borrow ideas from one another!
Some useful links:
>>Southwest Flickr Pool
• Check out past House Tours for style tray inspiration
• The Fall Colors Contest is another excellent place to gather inspiration.
• Here are some easy How To's to consider (like this How To: cover walls with starched fabric).
• Flower Inspiration, here too!
• Remember that the Cure isn't about buying a bunch of new stuff, it's about using what you've got (and eliminating what you don't love or use).
• For natural cleaning products we go to Target and buy Method (anything Lavender!). Call us crazy but we don't like the smell of Mrs. Meyers (anyone else feel this way?). For other natural solutions check out this post and this scrub and the natural cleansers archive.
It's not too late to sign up!