We’ve featured sliding barn doors here on Re-Nest before, but since this month is all about living small it's a topic worth revisiting. Not only are they an unexpected design element, but sliding doors can also serve multiple functional purposes - an important strategy when every square foot counts!
I love sliding doors because they can be a creative solution to various types of design dilemmas. A few perks worth mentioning:
No door swing
- sliding doors save space because they don't need the 5-10 square feet of floor area where the doors swings from open to close.
- large sliding doors can actually act as room dividers, transforming the function or feel of a room in one easy step.
- as seen in this collection, sliding doors often act as functional art.
Opportunities for affordable and creative reuse
- old doors or lumber can be reused in a new way, saving resources and money!
Not just for doorways
- sliding doors are also great solutions for pantries, shelving units and media centers!
(Images: Top Row: 1. Meyer Davis Studios, 2. Shelter Pop, 3. chezerbey, 4. Remodelista, 5. Sunset Magazine, Bottom Row: 6. House*Tweaking, 7. Design*Sponge, 8. Re-Nest, 9. Re-Nest, 10. Sunset Magazine)