We’ve covered the topic of sanitizing kitchen sponges using microwaves before. But apparently the popularity of a recent report covered by major news sources about the University of Florida study that recommends the use of the home microwave to sterilize kitchen sponges has apparently resulted in some disasters. Several people have reported fires, strong odours and smoke emanating from their microwaves after trying the technique. The update: researchers have released a statement advising that the sponges must be WET before going in microwave. Remember: wet, squeeze, nuke.