State Aloysius (13 months)
13.5 ft x 13.5 ft
If you close your eyes and picture a little boy's cowboy inspired room in Texas, we're betting you'd come nowhere close to picturing this room. Two entire walls of windows with breezy white drapes keep it light and fresh, and the overall look is just about as gender neutral as it gets. Sure, there's a vintage wooden gun, a Ranch Style Beans print, and a guitar signed by Willy Nelson, but we still almost hesitate to call it a cowboy room, unless the cowboys read Domino Magazine and shop at estate sales. That's the kind of cowboy room it is. And it's perfect!
Lisa and Scott Slusher live in Dallas and designed this gorgeous room for their baby boy, State. Lisa is a stylist and Scott is a photographer
so we're not at all surprised by how well put together this room is. They obviously make a great team, and they were kind enough to let us take a tour of State's nursery.
TOUR STATE'S NURSERY
What was your inspiration in designing this room? Our inspiration for his room came from lots of places. Magazines such as back stock issues of Domino (I think we have all of them!), the Domino book, House Beautiful, Elle Decor and back stock issues of Cottage Living. Websites Apartment Therapy and Ohdeedoh. Our favorite vintage stores around town and estate sales.
Since we wanted to keep the baby's sex a surprise we wanted to keep the room gender neutral without using lots of greens and yellows! After painting the room (almost completely ) 3 times we finally decided on one of my favorite paint colors EVER: Sherwin Williams Windowpane. It is just beautiful in any light especially a room with lots of windows!!
What's your favorite part of the room? Our favorite part of the room is the entire wall with the Expedit shelf. We love it from top to bottom!
What was your biggest challenge? Our biggest challenge was finding a great rocking chair that was super cute and not crazy expensive. Mission accomplished! I found the perfect rocker at one of my fav places Lulabees West in Dallas. The upholstery was in amazing condition and only $120!!!!!
Tell us about your amazing DIY projects! I love love love diy projects so the big ones for the room were the curtain rods, baby mobile and baby bedding. Scott and I actually made the curtain rods about 6 years ago from hardware at Home Depot. It has been painted gold and coastal coral since day 1! It looked so cute we just left it it's original colors. One pointer - build it before you attach it to the ceiling ! We didn't :/!! We also made our pot rack the same way in the kitchen! So Cute!
I really wanted to have a great baby mobile. The ones you see at the store are so expensive and not so cool. States is so colorful. He loves it and so do I!! Grandma and I both made the animals and I put it together.
After putting tons of patterns of fabric together online for bedding to have something custom made for crazy amounts of money, Scott and I went to Childress fabrics here in Dallas. He picked one fabric and I picked the other. He choose a cowboy print and I picked what I like to call a bandanna damask! I piped it in a windowpane linen. It turned out perfect for either a boy or girl!!
TOUR STATE'S NURSERY
What was your biggest indulgence? As you can probably tell by now, I'm a cheapskate. I hate to pay more than $20 for anything! Our biggest purchase aside from the rocking chair was the Ranch Style Beans sign for $100. Turns out nine times out of ten my diy projects end up costing as much or more than the pre-made things I can't bring myself to pay for!
And about that bed... It was a hand-me-down from Scott's sister. All three of her kids slept in it as well as the matching bassinet (now in storage). Now all of our kids will sleep in it too! Pretty cool huh!! We are still researching its origin.
• Elephant Rocker from Nieman Marcus
• Chest of drawers from grandmas childhood painted white and Rainwashed (Sherwin Williams)
• White and gold drawer pulls from Anthropology
• Changing pad cover from Target
• Liberty of London lampshade and base from Target
• Baby mobile made by mommy and grandma
• Bed bumpers made by mommy. Cowboy print on one side and a coral bandanna damask on the other. • Fabrics from Childress Fabrics
• Serena and Lilly green and white hounds tooth sheet
• Daddy's art piece "Salt and Pepper Mules on the Range"
• Ranch Style Beans sign Lula B's
• Vintage wood gun Dolly Python
• Daddy's International tractor from his childhood
• Vintage ceramic skunk Dolly Python
• Expedit shelving unit Ikea
• Antique Gold cobra picture frame Dolly Python
• Canvas storage bins diy project fabrics from City Craft
• White and gold ceramic Westie estate sale
• Going to grandmas suitcase diy decoupage project by grandma
• Star turtle night light from Toys r Us
• White and gold vintage swag lamp from House of Dang (now closed) Dallas Tx
• Vintage White rocker Lula B's
• Turquoise Green and Yellow Quilt Compliments of Great Aunt Barbra Depenbusch
• Ivory pom pom pillow from Pier 1
• Love pillow Alexander Girard from Urban Outfitters
• Spring end table from Eurway painted mustard yellow
• Vintage camels from an estate sale
• Exit sign painted gold and coral
• Double headed lamb Bows and Arrows
• Silver Duck Clock from Kenny's Gainesville, TX
• Animal organizers from Container Store
• For Like Ever poster from super-rural
Thank you, Scott and Lisa! Be sure to check out Scott's professional website, Scott Slusher Photography.
(Images: Scott Slusher)
Have you seen our Nursery & Kids Room Submission Form? In addition to working with some readers to feature full tours, we will also share the best as "My Room" posts on Ohdeedoh -- short, quick tours of great rooms. Submit yours right here.