For us, weekends at home turn into mini-staycations when we do something very simple—and very green. Instead of hopping in the car, we jump on our bikes and set off for a day full of easy errands, local sight-seeing, and plenty of exercise. Here are a few ideas for a pedaling tour of your hometown.
We can't recommend this kind of staycation enough; whenever we have a free weekend day, we plot it out just like this. It's easily adaptable to any city, and you can take as slow (or fast) a pace as you'd like. Plan ahead and make sure you'll be taking bicycle-friendly routes, and be open for changes along the way. Pack lightly for your trip, each person carrying a backpack, water, at least one cell phone in case of emergencies, and a little cash, and plan a day around town on two wheels.
1. For breakfast, visit the local coffee shops or bakeries. You're on staycation, so feel free to stop at more than one. Start the day off right with way too many carbohydrates.
2. Afterwards, pedal over to the lake (if you've got one), river, or other body of water—even a pool will work—and take a plunge. Go swimming, kayaking, canoeing, or just lounge out in the sunshine until you're ready to venture on for lunch.
3. Find another local eatery to nosh at, or stop by your local farmer's market and grab fresh food to go.
The next two moves are critical.
4. First, ride over to your local snowcone stand. Don't have one? Settle for ice cream.
5. If you think you're biked out for the day, think again: before the evening draws near and daylight fades, stop at your favorite beer joint for a well-deserved brewskie.
6. Head home and bliss out after an awesome day cruising around your town. Trust us, it will bring a whole new perspective to your hometown and you'll be wanting to do it again next weekend.
Can't bike into town from where you live? Pack up the bikes on the car, park in a central location, and do it anyway. Don't have a bike? Rent one at a local bicycle shop and go from there.
• The Locavore Staycation: 5 Fun Things to Do This Summer
• Staycation: Plant a No-Mow Lawn for More Time to Relax
• A Summer of Service: A Different Kind of Staycation
• 8 City Bikes That'll Make You Want to Cycle Forever