Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Seattle, WA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- By far my favorite feature in my home is the wall of glass. Sunlight in Seattle is often rare during the winter months, and I love that the wall of glass combined with my units 10 ft. high ceiling allows light to flood my open plan living area. From my perch on the 31st floor I can see so many of Seattle’s iconic features: the Space Needle and the Pacific Science Center Arches, the Seattle Center Monorail, ferries gliding across Puget Sound, sunsets over the Olympic Mountains, and the ever changing cityscape. My bedroom, on the other hand, is tucked into the back of my unit, and is a warm cozy place during the cold winter months. I also love the mix of vintage accessories that I’ve collected over the years styled against the modern clean lines of my furniture and unit. This mix helps in softening the “edge” that is often associated with a modern home, and gives the space a warm, welcoming feel.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- My biggest challenge in this unit is the lack of storage. I have only one small closet in the entire unit. Faced with this challenge, I set about sourcing furniture and accessories that would make unexpected storage options. In my entryway, I used a low profile sideboard and a vintage WWI British Rifleman’s trunk to store many of my coats and cold weather accessories. For someone like me who enjoys sourcing and collecting things, I’ve had to find places for items that I don’t necessarily want out on display, but at the same time want to have easy access to. You would never guess that I have my cherished several thousand piece CD collection neatly hidden away under my couch!
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- I collect historic Northwest photography, such as photographs by Darius Kinsey. I am working on a gallery wall project in my bedroom that I would like to fill with some new photographs. I am also planning on eventually replacing some key furniture pieces, such as my couch and dining chairs for my breakfast table.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013