Granite Mansion in Steinway, Queens

Granite Mansion in Steinway, Queens

Aaron Able
Aug 11, 2008

The New York Times shows us a massive granite house that was built in 1858 on 80 acres with views of Long Island Sound. When the first owner, Benjamin Pike Jr. passed away, the estate was purchased by William Steinway when he moved his piano manufacturing business to Astoria, Queens. "Granite forgives neglect very gracefully," and the overall structure is in good shape — especially all the original interior details including Italianate plasterwork, carved wood and marble...

The original owner, Benjamin Pike Jr., was a Manhattan optician who had instruments and scientific symbols etched in many of the glass doors in the house...

"The basement includes a billiard room, a bar and a Roman bath for parties."

In need of more care and investment than its current owner Michael Halberian has the funds or energy for, the house is for sale. For more on the history of the house and additional pictures, see A Hilltop Idyll, With Grace Notes of the Past and the slideshow.

Images: Laguardia and Wagner Archives, Laguardia Community College; Nicole Bengiveno for The New York Times

Created with Sketch.