Unfortunately, we don't have any stairs in our house, or I'd be all over creating some kind of unique, beautiful passageway. We've seen some ideas for decorating your stairs before, but these makeovers work great for kids and adults alike. If you have a stairway that accesses a kids' area, or if you just want to make your main staircase a bit more whimsical, here's some inspiration.
1. Chalkboard Stairs (seen on Houston Lifestyles). Painting the face of each step with chalkboard paint makes your stairs a place for artwork that can be changed as often as you choose. Or, erase them all for a clean look.
2. Rainbow Stairs (DOS architects via Planet Deco). Go all out with color and paint a traditional rainbow, or choose a color palette that suits your home.
3. Book Spine Stairs (Book Mania). This staircase leads to the reading room at the St. Louis Children's Museum, called The Magic House. It's a great idea for customizing a stairway with favorite kids' literature.
4. XOXO Stairs (DIY Network). A tutorial over at the DIY Network will show you how to achieve this look; choose any graphic in any style that you want, but we love the hugs and kisses theme.
5. Text Stairs (Village Vine Press). Choose text that has meaning for your family; it could be an inspirational quote, a list of character traits you value, or song lyrics. Paint them on or create or buy decals. The ones seen here are available through Etsy shop Village Vine Press for $35.
6. Numbered Stairs (Farmhouse 38). You could number your stairs in lots of ways, with house numbers, stencils, even painted wooden craft letters.
7. License Plate Stairs (Cherished Vintage). You could attach lots of different objects to the face of stairs; choose something that has meaning for you. This family used old license plates, including a personalized one that belonged to the husband's late grandfather.
Have you outfitted your stairs with any unusual decor, especially geared to involve the kids? Let us know in the comments!
(Image credits: Pam Culpepper; DOS Architects; Book Mania; Alex La Cruz; VillageVinePress; Kate @ Farmhouse 38; Karoline @ Cherished Vintage)