We know that not everyone's idea of whole-life balance makes room for the way you feel about your style. But we're taking a gamble that since you're here with us at Apartment Therapy, dear reader, that you take style seriously. The way you dress your body and dress your home are reflections of you, and when either one of them don't quite feel right, it's like the wind has been taken from your sails.
For that reason, it might be worthwhile for you to take stock of your style. It's not about having expensive things or even a picture-perfect home, but instead it's making sure that you're able to express yourself through the things you wear and the way you decorating your home. That sort of self-reflection is the pinnacle of great style—at any age, size or budget.
Find Harmony at Home
In order to bring your life into balance, it can help to see a top-down, bird's-eye view.
If you know you could stand to improve in the style department—maybe because you feel less than stellar about the state of your home or wardrobe—you can start by brushing up on some of our favorite resources.
To learn the basics of making a home…
- The art of eyeballing: Visual Balance Training with Magic Flip Cards
- Stick to a style: Real-Life Design Lessons: How To Build a Home "Uniform"
- Learn some tricks: Secrets to the Always-Put-Together Home (that You Can Do Today!)
- Getting grown-up style: How To Make Your Apartment Look Like an Adult Lives There
- Furniture 101: 9 Designers Demystify the Furniture Buying Process
- Master class in pattern mixing: Do These Patterns Go Together? Mix Master Secrets to Get It Right, Every Time
- How to hang art: The Dos & Don'ts of Hanging Art: An Illustrated Guide
- The right way to hang curtains: The Dos & Don'ts of Hanging Curtains: An Illustrated Guide
- The perfect rug: Everything You Need to Know: How To Get the Perfect Rug Size for Your Room
- Styling the sofa: No-Fail Recipes for Artfully Arranging Your Sofa Pillows
- Beautiful bookshelves: How To Style Bookshelves Layer By Layer
To add personality to your space...
- Know your style: Quiz: What's Your Home Decor Personality?
- Make it yours: Does Your Home Need a Personality Makeover? 5 Ways to Make a New Home Yours
- Live your truth: 7 Ideas for Building a Home that's 100% You
- Taste the rainbow: 9 Places to Add Color Where You Least Expect It
- Add some flair: 5 Bold Pieces That Will Instantly Amp Up Your Style
- Easier than it looks: Bold Design Moves That Are Actually Really Easy to Do
- Keep it fresh: 8 Fresh Design Details You Haven't Tried Yet (But You Totally Should!)
- Get out of a rut: 7 Ideas to Try When You Feel Like Your House is in a Design Rut
To add style without a big budget...
- Start with the basics: How To Have a Fantastic Home Without Spending a Ton of Money
- The broke person's guide to decorating: The Cheapest, Chicest & Most Effective Tricks
- Ask the experts: Decorating on a Budget: 20 Tips from the Pros
- Don't sacrifice style: 9 Affordable Decor Ideas That Always Wow
- How to fill a wall: Budget-Friendly Ways to Say Goodbye to a Big Blank Wall
To step up your personal style…
- Gain confidence: The 4 Biggest Ways You Get in the Way of Looking Your Best
- Consult a stylist: The Cool Friend We All Want: A Fashion Stylist Shares Her Secrets
- Find what speaks to you: Style Advice & Closet Organizing Tips from ModCloth Founder Susan Gregg Koger
- How to develop a style: How Satoe Kawashima Developed a Colorful, Structured Style
- Learn fashion hacks: 9 Simple Ways to Customize Your Clothing
- The lazy girl's guide to thrifting: Where to Buy Great Secondhand Clothes & Accessories Without Leaving Your Sofa