- New York, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- What I love about my small home is that it's grown up with me. The first year I rented my apartment, I was traveling a lot for work and it was mostly just a place to hold my stuff between trips. The second year, I made a conscious effort to explore my neighborhood and to decorate. This is when I discovered that my apartment overlooks the smallest park in Manhattan (it's only 1500 square feet!) and finally treated myself to the 'For Like Ever' poster I had been coveting since 2006 (RIP Domino mag). The third year was when my apartment became a home. I hosted dumpling making parties, planted a mini-garden, and carved out space for painting. As I enter my fourth year here, I'm sure it will be the best yet.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space:
- My biggest challenge -- and thrill -- in terms of utilizing the space came this past year, when I met my boyfriend, Travis. I don't know if I've really 'solved for this challenge', so much as I've chosen an incredibly accommodating partner. He stashes his things in unusual nooks, including behind my couch, in the recesses of my oddly shaped closet, and even in the kitchen. Now that's love.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are::
- Right now I use the space above my bed to screen films from my projector. It works great, except the wall sits blank when not in use. I'd love to put a large piece of art up there and install a pull-down shade by the bar for movie nights.
More posts in Small Cool 2013
ATVideo of the Day