These are the things I usually like to have ready and waiting when I have out of town visitors. It's by no means a comprehensive list so please leave your own suggestions in the comments below.
• An air mattress stows away easily and is imperative if, like me, you don't own a sleeper couch.
• Spare Sheets to cover the couch (or air mattress) create a clean, comfortable sleep environment.
• Spare pillow and blankets
• A fresh towel
• An extra toothbrush (nothing is worse than forgetting yours).
• Fresh soap, I save the mini bars from hotel stays.
• I like to leave a few maps and city guides in case my guests want to set out on their own, the EatShop Guides are great for local spots.
• Snacks like granola and bottles of water are nice to have on hand for late night snacks without rummaging around and neighborhood expeditions.
• Instructions on how to use the TV, coffee pot, etcetera in your absence are usually appreciated.
Image: Bethany Nauert for Apartment Therapy