If money were no object, these are the beds we'd buy for our dream studio in the city. Ingeniously designed, they're a lot prettier than the creaky Murphy bed of your grandma's generation.
- 1-2) UK-based Bon Bon Compact Living sells the Study Bed from European company Clei. It converts from a desk to a bed "with one simple movement." Price on request.
- 3-4) The Ulisse Sofa/Bed is one of many space-saving designs from New York store Resource Furniture. It's a "queen wall bed with a sofa on the front that folds ingeniously underneath the bed as it opens." Price on request.
- 5-6) The La Literal Bunk Bed by Lievore, Altherr & Molina sells through Chicago store Orange Skin and starts at $2,200. Made from a steel frame and veneered panels, it can be configured as a set of 2 bunk beds, one bed with a desk, or one bed with a shelf.
- 7-8) The SOBU 'Junk in the Trunk' Bed is a new design from California-based husband and wife team Alessandro and Laleh Latini. Currently available in twin sizes only (with a queen size on the way) it sells for $650.
- 9-10) New York firm Normal Projects designed this tiny studio in Manhattan with a blue custom cabinet that hides a Murphy bed, closet, shelving, and console table.