With the advent of summer, inevitably I find myself on wild goose chases for my hats, sandals, and other warm-weather accessories. At the last minute, I'll decide that I desperately need a certain pair of sunglasses, and after spending valuable time searching my purse, jewelry box, and goodness-knows-where-else, they'll eventually turn up at the bottom of a forgotten drawer. Knowing myself as I do, I've decided to foil this tendency with some simple organizational techniques.
• Sunglasses: To prevent having pairs of sunglasses strewn about your apartment, use a wooden hanger for a simple, no-fuss storage method. Or for those with a bit of DIY moxie, use a picture frame and some wire to corral your shades.
• Hats: Use fabric-covered shoe boxes to stylishly store your baseball caps, visors, and sunhats. Photo labels will help you locate the precise hat you want at a moment's notice.
• Hair supplies: Use a Tic-Tac box to easily store bobby pins and elastics so you can throw your hair up at a moment's notice. This is a really easy way to keep these items handy in your purse or car.
• Flip-flops and ballet flats: By tweaking some wire coat hangers, you can get rid of the mountain of flip-flops that can so easily accumulate on the closet floor. Hanging them in pairs makes them easy to find, and there's no more rifling through a basket or pile to find mates. Epbot has a handy tutorial for how to make these shoe hangers, but for those who would rather save some time, they are also easy to find on Etsy.
• Beach gear: A friend with a newborn baby introduced me to the wonders of the wet bag, and I have been addicted to mine ever since. It's perfect for carrying around wet swimsuits and towels, toiletries, or damp pool toys. You never have to worry about leaks or about getting everything in your gym bag or beach bag soggy. There's a wide variety of sizes and patterns to be found on Etsy, but I've included the above pictures of a couple of my favorites.
(Images: 1. Hilda's Sunny Swedish Highrise House Tour, 2.Cupcakes and Cashmere, 3.A Beautiful Mess, 4. The Burlap Bag, 5. Epbot, 6. Together Threads on Etsy, 7. Kimoley on Etsy, 8. LilStuff on Etsy)