Almost 5 years ago, when I began planning my son Alex's nursery, I didn't have a great vision of what I wanted his room to be beyond the crib stage. We looked into converting the crib to a toddler bed but it had such an awkward appearance, with very tall head/ footboard, such that it resembled the letter H. It also required the purchase of a conversion kit, so we opted for a full size bed and bypassed the toddler bed altogether. Looking back, I wish I'd had the foresight to seek out a more elegant design. I've selected 8 modern, stylish cribs which convert beautifully and seamlessly into beds. Many of them do not even require the additional purchase of a conversion kit.
- The Caravan crib ($695-895), by Kalon Studios, can be transformed to a toddler bed by removing the rails but there is also an optional toddler rail kit ($345), available in multiple colors.
- The Echo crib ($1195), by Kalon Studios, can be used with the conversion kit ($475) or without.
- The Io/ Ioline crib ($1595-2200), by Kalon Studios, has two available conversion kit designs ($545) but can be used without.
- The Classic crib ($970), by Oeuf, with toddler conversion kit ($260).
- The Leander crib ($1299), which converts into a toddler bed and longer junior bed
- The Nifty Clear crib ($1550), by Ubabub, also available in Nifty Timber ($999), with conversion kit ($179).
- The Pod crib ($2100), by Ubabub, has removable sides for easy conversion
- The iconic Scandinavian Kili crib (700 GBP, currently out of stock), by Sebra, expands to become a toddler and junior bed
Some images of my favorite crib/ toddler beds
Kalon Studios Caravan Divan
Leander Junior Bed with Safety Guard
Oeuf Classic Toddler Bed. Design by Sissy and Marley
Sebra Kili crib. Melt Design Studio.
(Image credits: as linked; (composite by Katerina Buscemi); Kalon Studios; Leander; Marco Ricca; Jeppe Gudmundsen-Holmgreen)