Repurposing an old dresser is a great way to save some money, recycle and create a totally unique piece. Sometimes all a piece needs is a fresh coat of paint and some new hardware and there's no shortage of dresser makeover inspiration in our archives. However, if you want to take it a step further and think more outside the box (or dresser) and flex your DIY skills, here's some great smart and stylish ways you can transform your piece into something totally different.
Like any other DIY or repurposed project, you have to enjoy the process and satisfaction in the transformation. Many of these examples may require some extra handy skills and tools. It's not a given, but I find that most times an older dresser is made from quality solid wood compared to some new ones and have many more years of life in them.
Most of these have tutorials and some are just inspiration for the especially handy to create their own DIY.
- A dresser drawer turned into a hip mid-century side table, tutorial found on Deco Viva! (site is in Portuguese).
- Get organized and inspired by this open concept storage for your overflowing closet or small space, featured on SF/LA Organized Interiors.
- Be inspired to turn your dresser into a beautiful and unique secretary desk like this piece formally available at Pottery Barn, spotted on Furniture Fashion.
- Create a useful display and storage unit for your kitchen or dining area, tutorial by Pretend Fancy.
- Creating a kitchen island from an old dresser is a major budget saver like this DIY project by Nesting Gypsy.
- Using dresser doors as a unique and stylish solution to keep your kids' books organized and off the floor, by Addison Meadows Lane.
- Create a stylish Frankenstein-inspired new dresser made from old dresser drawers like this inspirational piece formally available at Elemental, featured on Styling and Salvage.
- Turn an old dresser into a dollhouse mansion, spotted on Turkey Feathers.
- A really smart and stylish way to hide your cat litter box when you have limited space. Full tutorial by Recaptured Charm.