Three years ago we launched our first ever Design Showcase with the intention of giving a bunch of independent designers, creatives and makers a really good soapbox from which to pitch their work. We also wanted to give them even more exposure and see if we could help to boost their careers to a whole new level. Guess what? It worked. In the past few years, our winners have had tremendous runs, getting picked up by major newspapers and magazines and watching their businesses skyrocket.
It's time to do it again. Join us this September.
SUBMISSIONS OPEN THROUGH SEPTEMBER 14th
We'll start posting this year's selections early in September and they'll run throughout the month.
THE BACK STORYToday we're putting out the call for great, new designs by independent and student designers, makers and creatives that promise to make our homes more beautiful and inspiring places to live.
We're making some changes too.
WIDER FIELD OF CREATIVE TALENT
We want to celebrate a wider field of creatives and hope to attract more makers, crafters and designers to submit this year than in the past. If your work touches textiles, furnishings, ceramics, lighting or home accessories of any kind, we want you.
VIRTUAL SHOW BOOTHS
This year we're turning the showcase into much more of a a virtual show and offering up virtual "booths" to all those that we select to get into this years show. We have a limited number of booths available this year (30 spaces), and we want to see the best ideas in them.
This year, in keeping with the virtual booth concept, we're asking you to make a very short personal pitch for your creation, just like you'd be called on to do at a trade show. If you don't feel comfortable pitching yourself and want someone to help you, go for it. Just like at a show, you should make sure you represent the idea in the strongest possible way.
This is a golden opportunity to craft an even more personal message and get it in front of our audience of over 10 million monthly readers.
IT'S A SHOW, NOT A CONTEST
Unlike in years past, we're not going to turn this into a contest where you all have to compete against one another. We'll only pick those who we feel are strongest and the curated set of thirty exhibitors will all be winners for having a great space to show off their wares during the month of September. We will, however, have judges who will award extra recognition to their favorite designs, which will provide extra exposure.
WHO CAN ENTER
• Independent designers, makers or creatives from all over the world
• Design couples and teams are welcome
We're looking for folks who need exposure and a big push to get them to the next level. Already designing for a big company? That's okay, but send us stuff you're doing on the side. We want to help you, not the big company.
WHAT IS ELIGIBLE
• One original design or creation that has reached prototype stage or beyond.
• Nothing is eligible that has been purchased by or licensed to another company.
• Designs and creations can be for home furnishings, accessories, lighting, appliances or textiles.
• Only one design or creation per designer, please, so choose your best design. If you submit more than one, we'll choose the one we think is best.
If it goes into the home, we're open to it. It can be decor, furnishing or materials related; just don't send us a car design.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
• Your name and contact info
• Materials description
• Your pitch! (@ 200 words)
• One minute pitch on VIDEO (anything over one minute will be disqualified)
• A link to your site if you have one (hey, it's 2012, every designer should!)
• Image of design drawing
• Three photographs of prototype or finished product (This is important. You must have taken it at least to prototype stage.)
• One photograph of yourself (Feel free to dress up and look as important as you feel).
Give us your best pitch, and your clearest product shots. Remember that first impressions are the most important.