Summer style doesn't have to mean wicker chairs or navy blue stripes. Updating your home for the season can be as simple as switching out a lampshade or painting an accent wall in a pale, willowy green. We've sorted through our files to find ten rooms that have a fresh, casual vibe that's well suited to summer without feeling like a seasonal cliché.
- A touch of yellow. The patterned bedspread and yellow lampshade make this room feel more fun.
- Jewel-toned accessories. A gorgeous green lamp loosens up the room a little and ties into the green in the bedspread.
- A dusty rose color. It's more sophisticated than bubblegum pink, and it's a spring/summer color that can easily transition into fall and winter.
- Pastels. Normally associated with spring, pastels like pale greens and blues have a more casual, beachy vibe.
- A gorgeous lantern. Think of ways to bring outdoor accessories indoors, like using a lantern to bring some drama to a plain desk.
- A bright bedspread. In a room with dark wood furnishings, a light bedspread or rug can easily update the decor for summer.
- Potted plants on the floor. Containers full of plants are a summer staple, but they feel even more laid-back and casual when they're gathered in groups on the floor.
- Pale paint. It reflects natural light, making a room feel breezy and open.
- Natural tableaus. An earth-toned lamp and potted flower, set against a field of fossil wallpaper, is unexpected.
- Candy-colored furniture. Use bright plastic shell chairs, painted stools, or a high-gloss side table to wake up a room.
Photos: The Sleep Room, Liezel Strauss, Emery & Cie, Caravane, Tine K, Archana, Dan Vickery, Casey Gunschel, Vitra