Name: Sue Huey & Graeme Fraser
Location: Brighton, East Sussex, UK
Years lived in: 4 years; Owned
Located in the very heart of central Brighton, Sue and Graeme's Victorian townhouse is a refuge of tranquility, just yards from the city's main shopping street. Sue, a trend forecaster and mother to Iris and Harper, has amassed a varied collection of antiques and curios, which are grouped decoratively throughout the house.
The children share a bedroom at the front of the house which is playfully decorated with personalized bunting, crocheted blankets and retro kids' furniture, while downstairs a mix of vintage and industrial inspired pieces come together to create a stylish family home.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Homely and eclectic.
Inspiration: Nothing too precious. The only rule is that it has to be comfortable and make us feel relaxed.
Favorite Element: The size and layout of the kitchen/dining room. It's big enough to entertain a large group of friends and is the main place people gather.
Biggest Challenge: Furnishing long, narrow rooms where after 200 years there appear to be very few right angles.
What Friends Say: Everyone is really surprised by how big it is once you step through the front door. It was originally a cottage for the workers at a brewery that used to be opposite the house. Since then it has been extensively converted.
Biggest Embarrassment: The bathroom. It needs some serious love and attention.
Proudest DIY: It sounds very tame, but drilling holes through tiles for shelving. We've been very lucky in that we have had to do very little in terms of serious DIY.
Biggest Indulgence: Bespoke wooden shutters. These were made by a Brighton-based carpenter.
Best Advice: Buy things that makes you feel happy and comfortable.
Resources of Note:
- • French Gold mirror-Swag antiques, Brighton
• Floor Lights and Ceiling pendant lights-Ikea
• Leather armchair- Spitalfields market, London
•Clock- Family heirloom
• Rocking chair-House clearance shop
• Mirror above fire place- Flea market
• Wise old owl print www.substudio.com
• Egg cup Collection-Etsy and Ebay
• Quilt- Martlets Charity Shop
• Shell ship in bell jar -Shell shop in Archachon-Bordeaux France
• Grey 3 seater Sofa www.sofa.com
• Antlers- Ebay and Antwerp antique shop
• Perforated metal table- Flea market.
• Metal owl- Normandy Brocante
- • Globe Wernicke stacking book case-Flea market
• Vintage Engineer tool box- Ebay
• Green Metal desk draws- Ebay
• Vegas light-Las Vegas souvenir shop
• Barclays bank Letter S- Camden market
• Rock of ages embroidery-vintage shop
- • Kitchen cupboards- bespoke
• Cooker- Smeg
• Metal shelves - Ikea
• Pendant lights - Ikea
• Grey metal fold up chairs - Habitat
• Sliding glass door cabinet - Ebay
• Haberdashery shop cabinet - Flea market
• Selection of embroideries - Ebay
• Printing press prints - A Two Pipe Problem
• Prints and paintings - Antique shops/charity shops
• Taxidermy Bird Box - Antique shop in Aldeborough, Suffolk
- • Cot beds - Mama's and Papa's
• Tall chest of drawers - Swag Antiques, Brighton
• Small chest - flea market
• Duvet covers - Ikea
• Crochet blanket - Handmade
• Name Bunting - Handmade
• Retro kitchen - Kidkraft
• Wooden storage boxes -
• Wooden chair - House clearance shop
• Cupboards - Bespoke
- • Mirror - Flea Market
Thanks, Sue & Graeme!
(Images: Rebecca Proctor)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.