Painting walls a dark, moody color seems to be the in trend right now. One of the classic interior decorators, Billy Baldwin, used black paint on all four walls of his tiny New York apartment. His strategy was to give the illusion of a larger space by making the walls simply disappear. Using a dark color in any space is a bold decision, but I am considering painting one wall in my bedroom black, but I have seen both good and bad results of painting with a dark color.
Has anyone painted a wall in their home black? There seems to be a formula for successfully pulling together a dark interior, especially in a bedroom and I'd love some suggestions on paint gloss level, exact hue of black or dark grey, how to pull off the look, lighting requirements, etc.
Shown above, left to right:
- The Berlin Apartment of German Set Designer Sylvester Kozioleks: Automatism
- The Ultimate Bachelor Pad by Designer Mike Valles
- Black Bedroom and Black Headboard: Bright, Bold, and Beautiful
- Three Men & a Home Filled with Photography
- Cindy Gallop's Black Apartment: The Selby