It's the middle of summer and the mosquitos are out and hungry. We have lots of tips and tricks to beat them, but my favorites are the ones you light. Here are five that use natural ingredients — perfect if you're looking for a seasonal housewarming gift or if you simply want to treat yourself.
1. Without Mosquitos Candle Making Kit, $28 from The Greatest Candle In The World: The kit includes powder to create several vegetable candles at home with recycled (or virgin) cooking oil. Kit makes 6 candles. If DIY is not your style, you can buy candles that are ready to go here.
2. Coffee Tin Candles, $18 from Prosperity Candle: Made with citronella, these soy-blend candles feature a wood wick for a long-lasting, wind resistant flame. Each candle is handmade by Burmese women who are rebuilding their lives in the U.S. after years in refugee camps, and arrives with the story of the woman who poured it.
3. Summer's Night Citronella Candle, $24 from Terrain: Made of clean-burning soy wax and scented with citronella, this candle is hand-poured in a recycled glass coaster. Made in the USA.
4. Mosquito Repellant Candle, $59 from Hillhouse Naturals: Soy mosquito repellent candle in a reusable concrete planter. Citronella and DEET free, the essential oils naturally repel mosquitos. Available in Wild Mint, Juniper & Tea Tree and in Eucalyptus, Lemongrass & Mint Leaf.
5. Fly Away Sticks, $14 from Madison James: Incense sticks buzz off bees, mosquitoes and other flying pests with orange and citronella oils. Simply light and allow the pleasant scent to clear the air of buggy intruders. Made in the USA.
(Images: as linked above)