As with any truly good design, incorporating an element such as this both embraces the lifestyle of the person inhabiting the space and reflects their personality. The key is to really work it into the design of the space (mounting it on the wall or hanging it from the ceiling are easy to do) and if you can afford it pick a stylish board. I love the look of the wood Grain Surfboards and if your existing surfboard is a "beater" the colorful graphic board bags designed by Alexandra Cassaniti are a easy option for covering them up.
1. Dwell "The Full Montara" image via Adventurous Design Quest
2. Apartment Therapy House Tour "Seth and Allison's Breezy Bungalow"
3. Carolyn Murphy in House Beautiful image via Design Serendipity Interiors
4. James Victore surfboard for Design Within Reach image via Habitually Chic
5. "Leslie Klotz Hamptons Cottage" in House Beautiful
6. New York Times Magazine "Twice as Nice"
7. Elle Decor "A Mod Manhattan Apartment"
8. Desire to Inspire, prop stylist Joe Maer's portfolio
9. Elle Decor's lookbook "Modern Beach"
10. Dwell "Go With the Flow"