Name: Suzanne Flenard and Jeremy Schuster
Location: Le Marais, Paris, France
Size: 500 square feet
Years lived in: 3 years, rented
Suzanne Flenard has a discerning eye for design. When she couldn't find the perfect pillows to go with her modern décor, she launched her own label, Square Modern. Now pops of turquoise and tangerine offer jazzy, mid-century touches to her clean, serene space in one of Paris' oldest districts.
Looking for an adventure, Suzanne and Jeremy left their home in New York three years ago and hightailed it Paris. It took many months to find the right apartment, and just as they were about to sign a lease on another place, Jeremy's dentist suggested they take a look at an open apartment he knew about. The last thing the apartment-weary couple wanted to do was look at another place, but not wanting to offend the dentist, they gave it a go. Thank goodness for that. High up in a gorgeous 19th century building on a quiet street in one of the city's most sought-after neighborhoods, the bright little apartment is now their home, which they share with their adorable Yorkshire Terrier, Sake.
The apartment is small, but since the couple came from New York, they know a thing or two about small-space living. And with Suzanne's penchant for good design (she used to work at Design Within Reach), it was only a matter of time before the pair had outfitted their exceptionally elegant home with a slim, carefully curated cache of exquisite things. No, there isn't a dining room, and the couple does like to entertain. But there's no problem there. When it's time to host a dinner party chez Suzanne et Jeremy, the dining room table comes out from its hiding spot beneath the couch, leaves and all. Now that's Paris style with a dose of New York creativity at its best.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Modern all the way!!
Inspiration: Beautiful design that's functional.
Favorite Element: The amazing amount of light.
Biggest Challenge: Storage.
What Friends Say: It reminds them of a chic, boutique hotel.
Biggest Embarrassment: The size.
Proudest DIY: Wiring dimmers onto all of my lamps (they're not really into ambiance here).
Biggest Indulgence: My obsession with cool modern accessories — there are so many that they're on a rotation.
Best Advice: Less REALLY is more!
Dream Sources: The basement of BHV — you can find anything there for DIY projects.
Other Inspiration: Le Musée des Art Décoratifs.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Emery & Cie, Paris, color = craie
- • Sofa - Aspen sofa from The Conran Shop
• Orange chairs - from K Design, Montmartre
• Magazine holder - "W" mag stand by Offi
• Coffee Table - from Conforama
• Tall cabinet - from Leroy Merlin, Paris
• TV stand - Muji
• Lamp - from K design, Montmartre
• Rug - naturemadehides.com
• Pillows - Square Modern
• White vases on floor - kennethwingard.com
• White vases on cabinet - from Repérages - store in the Marais
• Candle holders on coffee table - Todd Oldham Home
- • Bed - Ikea
• Lamp - Miconos lamp by Artimide
• Pillows - Square Modern
• Bedside table - Componibili from Kartell
Thanks, Suzanne and Jeremy!
Images: Celeste Sunderland
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.