I'm the "pie-bringer" of the party. I love baking all sorts of delicious holiday pies, but not necessarily eating them, so holiday get-togethers are the perfect opportunities for baking and sharing. A sweet little tip that I learned from a friend is to bring a homemade pie with the hostess gift nestled in its center: a pie bird.
Pie birds or pie funnels are the old fashioned method of venting steam from piping hot meat or fruit pies. Rather than cutting slits or designs in the top crust, bakers nestled the birds right in the center to vent steam and support the pastry.
Relatively inexpensive and definitely charming, pie birds make quirky little additions to baking, plus a sweet hostess gift to boot. Vintage birds can be found on etsy and ebay, but take a look at the picks below for something new.
1. Vintage pie bird collection, found at Country Living. Photo by Kana Okada
2. This pie bird comes in three different colors from Le Creuset, $5
3. The most recognizable pie bird, Blackbird from Sur La Table, $4.95
4. Surprise! They're not all birds. Squirrel Pie Vent from Sur La Table, $9.95
5. Basic white pie bird from Bed, Bath and Beyond, $1.99
Images: As credited above.