This early plastic (whose official name is the delightfully long polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride) was first developed in the early 1900s, but really embraced in later decades. Now, it's a collector's item treasured for its retro appeal, fun colors and general awesomeness. We think vintage bakelite flatware would be the perfect addition to your decor this entertaining season (and fun to have on hand year round). We hopped on to Etsy to find five sets we love:
1) 6 Vintage Red Bakelite Tablespoons Stainless Steel $35
2) Vintage Bakelite Stainless Steel Flatware Collection from the 1930's - 1940's $45
3) Vintage Bakelite Steak Knives $20
4) Vintage Bakelite Cutlery from 1940 $65
5) 5 Vintage Sheffield Steak Knives $25
Are you a bakelite fan? What about flatware—is your flatware in fun colors? Let us know!