Last month, a portable DVD player was dropped on an American Airlines flight, causing a fire. In March 2008, a United Airlines employee placed a flashlight in the storage compartment of a Boeing 757 at the Denver airport. A report said the flashlight exploded “like gunshots,” turning the on-off switch into a projectile. On a flight to Miami that same month, eight people were injured when a small battery fell against a metal seat frame. In the ensuing explosion, debris singed a passenger’s ear and hair and the smoke sickened seven crew members.
And authorities are positive that even more events like these go unreported. So what can you do?
You've already got a head start by making yourself aware of the risk caused by on-flight fires started by lithium batteries. When you take a flight, keep your gadgets where you can keep an eye on them and out of overhead storage bins. The often over-packed luggage and coat compartment is literally fuel for the fire.