Our balcony garden consists almost exclusively of edible flowers, plants, and herbs. We like to make use of all of our plants in ways other than on the dinner table, including as cleaners, for personal care, as gardening aids, and for pest control. Check out a few ideas below.
These are just a few ideas, please feel free to share your own in comments...
Mint, Peppermint, Spearmint
Most of these applications work best when used as a mint essential oil. Here are some easy instructions to make your own.
- Medicinal Uses: We've heard they're good to use to treat migraines and muscle aches, or, when ingested, to help aid digestion and promote relaxation.
- Hair & Skin Care: Rub into your scalp to treat dandruff, rejuvenate and cool skin.
- Pest Control: Repels ants, flies, mosquitoes, and rodents.
- Medicinal Uses: Chamomile tea is said to treat some ailments including cramps, digestion problems, and colds and flu.
- Skin Care: Apparently can also be used topically to treat skin conditions such eczema or dry skin.
- In the Garden: Chamomile tea works as a fungicide by soaking seeds in cooled chamomile tea overnight before planting them.
- Household Cleaning.
- Skin Care: Place slices on your eyes to remove under eye dark circles.
- Pest Control: Blend with water and strain into a spray to use on plants and to repel ants.
(Image: Sudha's Repurposed Garden Balcony)