I recently read an article in USA Today about the resurgence of the US textile industry, which is encouraging news in a culture of seemingly outsourced everything. Both small- and large-scale textile companies are turning out stylish, high-quality, competitively priced goods, offering consumers viable means to support US manufacturing. Check it out. And cue the Bruce Springsteen...
- FLOR is very popular around here for their endlessly versatile, non-toxic, and stylish floor squares, which allow you to design your own rug or runner. They also manufacture over 90% of their products in the US using 100% natural, un-dyed wool and post-consumer waste like plastic soda and water bottles.
- Pendleton has been producing high-quality textiles at their Pendleton Woolen Mills in Oregon for over 100 years. Check out their Native American Inspired and National Parks lines, which are rich in heritage and visually stunning.
- Plow & Hearth offers a wide variety of USA-made rugs. They have a nice variety of indoor-outdoor, traditional braided, and woven wool rugs at competitive prices.
- Bluebird Blanket is a Sioux Falls-based company that strives to source everything in the USA. They carry a diverse line of modern, beautiful, and eco-friendly blankets for baby and home.
- Capel Rugs is a US-based rug company with an extensive line of USA-made rugs. *Not all Capel Rugs are manufactured in the US, so check "Country of Origin" on product info.
- Faribault Woolen Mill Co. has been producing wool products in a mill on the banks of the Cannon River in Minnesota since 1865. Their products are as wonderful as their history, with each item carefully crafted using virtually the same techniques employed in 1865.
- Claudia Mills produces gorgeous rugs and runners out of her Philadelphia-based studio. She carries a retail line and creates custom products. Burano floor runner series (pictured above) available from Amazon.
- Wabisabi Green is a California-based company that carries vibrant, fun table linens and home textiles, with an emphasis on land and sea elements. Products are made from eco-friendly material and are designed and fabricated in the USA.
- I discovered Etsy shop North Country Comforts last summer and fell in love with their rustic burlap table runners. They carry a wide variety of table linens, pillows, and home & wedding decor textiles — all produced in their Pike, New Hampshire studio.
- 1888 Mills is a longstanding USA-based textile company (operating the largest remaining towel mill in the US). They produce everything from bath and bedding products to apparel and kitchen textiles. Their USA-made luxury bath towels are widely available from distributors such as Amazon and Costco.
If you're interested in finding out more about where to buy USA-made products, check out the following sites:
- Made in USA Challenge
- The American List
- Made in the USA Product Directory
- Consumer Reports: Made in America?