Name: Tej Sundher
Location: Santa Monica, California
Size: 1,800 square feet
Years lived in: 2 years
Anyone who has ever purchased a earlier era home with the intent to transform it to a more modern dwelling can relate to this story. Worn old carpet and pink wallpaper didn't discourage Tej and his designer friend, Cozette, from seeing the vision of what could be.
They jumped right into the construction and after completely gutting the entire residence, took on the selection of materials and furnishings. I couldn't believe it when Tej told me that the entire remodel was finished in only three months.
Every room in Tej's condo is well designed and functional, but my favorite space is definitely the kitchen. The orange paint color juxtaposed against the dark cabinetry and the blue and cream tile is a great combination. I was dying to know the source of the backsplash tile used throughout in the kitchen and was surprised to find out that it was actually pool tile. Tej doesn't cook that often, but the large kitchen works well when entertaining a house full of guests.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I knew one day I would purchase a home and hire my long time friend and interior designer, Cozette Coffman. Over the years I would always point out what I liked in other homes, restaurants, and hotels, so she really knew where I wanted to take things. I definitely love dark wood cabinets and one of the first selections we made was the Oak wood floors. I really let her take it from there, presenting me with the whole package and vision she had created for a modern space that is both hip and homey.
Inspiration: I wanted a home that was stylish like a hip hotel, but also welcoming enough to live in every day. Cozette helped me see that this house had good bones before I purchased it and then we developed a plan to gut it and remodel extensively.
Favorite Element: My favorite element is the remodeled kitchen. It's great how open the new layout is and it's really become the main hub when I'm entertaining. I also love the graphic stencil that Cozette painted on the walls in my bathroom.
Biggest Challenge: Furnishing the house after investing in the construction and remodeling costs.
What Friends Say: My friends and guests tell me that they love how my home is stylish but still masculine.
Biggest Embarrassment: My biggest embarrassment when I purchased the home was how outdated and small the kitchen was.
Proudest DIY: The dining chairs are from the Burbank Unpainted Furniture store and then we had them lacquered blue; definitely helped offset costs in the overall budget.
Biggest Indulgence: My biggest indulgence had to be the custom kitchen cabinets. Cozette's design was fabricated by todosomething - they did a fantastic job incorporating all of the bells and whistles that you'd want in a kitchen.
Best Advice: Hire a professional - it's so worth it!
Dream Source: I would have to defer to Cozette on that.
Resources of Note:
- Sectional: Jaxon Home
- Mirrored Coffee Table: Custom - Cozette Coffman Design
- Nesting Ottomans: Custom - Cozette Coffman Design, Fabric - Donghia
- Leather Chair: InMod, recovered in Innovations faux leather
- Media Stand: West Elm
- Acrylic Console: CB2
- Dining Table: Calvin Klein
- Dining Side Chairs: Custom Lacquer - Burbank Unpainted Furniture
- Settee Bench: Lee Industries through HD Buttercup
- Counterstools: Plummers, recovered in Brentano faux leather
- Canopy Bed & Bedside Tables: Z Gallerie
- Chest of Drawers: West Elm
- Berebere Imports
- Rolling Greens Nursery
- West Elm
- Wertz Brothers
- HD Buttercup
- Mirror: Guest Bathroom, Pottery Barn
- Refrigerator, Oven and & Microwave: Jenn-Air
- Electric Cooktop: Kenmore Induction
- Dishwasher: Bosch
- Stainless Farmhouse Sink: Signature Hardware
- Faucet: Grohe
- Bar Sink: Houzer
- Bar Faucet: Grohe
- Beverage Refrigerator: U-line
GUEST & MASTER BATHROOM FIXTURES
POWDER ROOM FIXTURES
RUGS & CARPET
- Area Rug: Crate&Barrel
- Engineered Oak Flooring: Amigos Wholesale Flooring
TILES & STONE
- Entry, Kitchen, & Bathroom Floors: Walk on Tile, Porcelain Travertine
- Kitchen & Guest Bath Countertops: Caserstone, Baja
- Kitchen Backsplash: Mission Tile West
- Powder Room (feature wall and floor): Walk on Tile
- Guest Bathroom shower: Walker Zanger
- Master Bathroom shower: Walker Zanger & Walk on Tile
- Master Bath countertop: Walker Zanger, travertine
- Entry: Vintage, 1st Dibs
- Stairwell: Custom Design, Cozette Coffman Design, Glass Lanterns from Cisco home, Fabrication by Reborn Antiques
- Dining Room: Vintage, 1st Dibs
- Guest & Master Bathrooms: Info Lighting
- Powder Bathroom: Restoration Hardware
- Ceiling Fans: Minka Group
- Bedside Table Lamps, Master: Circa Lighting, with custom shades
Custom Draperies: Cozette Coffman Design:
- Living Room Fabric: Brentano
- Master Bedroom: Kravet & Jim Thompson
- Master Bathroom: Jim Thompson
- Kitchen: Yolo paint # 02 Clay
- Living Room: Benjamin Moore, # 0C-12 Muslin
- Entry & Powder Room: Benjamin Moore, AF-20 Mascarpone
- Brick: Benjamin Moore - Mesa Verde Tan, AC 33
- Master Bedroom: Dunn Edwards, DE6177 Thatched Roof
- Master Bathroom: Custom stencil
- Wall, base: Benjamin Moore, AF-20 Mascarpone
- Wall, 2nd color: Benjamin Moore, HC 26 Monroe Bisque
- Accent color: Dunn Edwards #DEA161 Wild Mustang
- Guest Bathroom: Benjamin Moore, Constellation AF 540
- Kitchen Cabinets: todosomething LLC
- Custom Interior Doors: Real Door Inc., 3 panel solid & 3 panel with laminated glass
Images: Bethany Nauert
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.