[ A crazy find during the pruning phase: a heart-shaped lemon! ]
Handy Household Uses for Lemons from Hippyshopper:
- Remove limescale from draining board and taps - Use half a lemon to rub over stainless steel draining boards and taps. Leave a minute, rinse, and shine with a dry cloth.
- Freshen up your dishwasher - Use half a lemon and jam it onto an upright in your dishwasher. Shells fresh, helps cut grease, and has got to be more eco-friendly than those plastic lemon shaped things that you can buy to do the same job.
- Exfoliate and clean your feet - Mix up some lemon pulp and brown sugar and get rubbing. Rinse and moisturize
- Highlight your hair - Much better for you and the environment than commercial bleaches. Mix the juice of one lmeon with one teaspoon salt, and apply to hair with a comb. Get out into the sun for a couple of hours. Do some vegetable gardening, tend to your lemon tree, go for a walk, you get the picture. Don't do this too often though, it will dry your hair out
- Keep fruits from browning - Add lemon juice to freshly cut apples or pear slices to keep them from turning brown
- Repel weeds - Sprinkle lemon juice around areas in the garden to repel weeds (but not near plants you want, but cracks and such)
- Polish Copper pots - Use lemon juice plus salt to turn tarnished copper pots shiny again
- Cat Pee Repeller - If your cat has a favorite chair or sofa that it likes to pee in, make a lemon-water mix and spray it on the spot and the cat won't go there again Nan carefully inspecting 1/10th of the lemon supply.
Got another use for a lemon? Share it with us!