Name: Terry and Lyndon
Location: Back Bay, Boston, Massachusetts
Size: 1,810 square feet
Years lived in: 7 — owned
Terry and Lyndon know how to make an entrance. There's no typical landing strip or shoe storage here — instead, polished marble and hand-painted Chinoiserie walls sparkle and pop. A flair for the dramatic with a touch of whimsy delight as you tour this detailed duplex.
Terry describes her home as an "adult apartment." The public areas shine and sparkle with mirrors, glass, chandeliers, and antiques like a jewel box of precious stones. Though look closely and there's joie de vivre — soft fabrics, a cozy chair, well-thumbed books. The family room, kitchen, and bedroom are less flashy and more intimate, a reminder that this place is a home and not a palace. Though palaces are more likely to have secret rooms and hidden pathways, and the starry-ceilinged bathroom with a barely distinguishable door falls into that category!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Elegance and drama within a traditional context. Ours is definitely an adult apartment!
Inspiration: A lifetime of experiences-- always looking around, reading, & discovering.
Favorite Element: The elegant architectural features.
Biggest Challenge: The mirrored dining room, because when they came to hang the mirrors, the wall was so out of plumb that a crew had to come fix it first. Also, for some reason, the jib door to the guest bathroom.
What Friends Say: "Wow," "It's gorgeous," and "Who did your design?"
Biggest Embarrassment: That I haven't yet replaced the tacky old chest of drawers in my closet!
Proudest DIY: Coming up with the overall design and working with our architect.
Biggest Indulgence: Probably the Statuario marble floors in the gallery and dining room.
Best Advice: Choose your contractor VERY carefully (get tons of references!) and go to the site every day!
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Grisaille Chinoiserie painting on walls in tones of grey, silver and white hand-painted by Marcello Lavalan, who also did the silver leaf on dining room ceiling
- • Entry & Dining: White marble floor inset with black slate
• Living: Original herringbone oak floor
• Bathrooms: Marble
- • Antiques & custom upholstery
RUGS & CARPET
- • Stark, Landry & Arcari
- • Refrigerator: Sub-Zero
• Stove/Oven: Thermador
• Dishwasher: Asko
• Counters: White Carrera marble
• Hardware: Baldwin Estate Collection in satin nickel
- • Fabric from Scalamandre in Beacon Hill
- • Antique Baccarat chandelier
• Antique Baltic smokebell
- • Mostly 19th c. paintings and watercolors
Thanks, Terry & Lyndon!
Images: Tara Bellucci.
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.