Using a glass desk can be fraught with challenges, especially when you want to keep your work surface clutter-free. Since this desk didn't come with a keyboard tray, Terry came up with an interesting solution to store his keyboard, mouse, and Trackpad. All in all, the result leaves a lot of free desk real estate, negating the use of another desk to do paperwork and reducing the overall footprint of this workstation.
Terry Chay is a software architect who works for Automattic, the company that developed Wordpress led by Matt Mullenweg. He currently lives in San Francisco and this is where his home office is located.
His home office uses a few Mac computers, including a recent iMac 27" with a secondary 24" Apple Cinema Display, and a MacBook Air 13". He complements these with an iPad and iPhone to get the job done on the road. He is a photography enthusiast, as well as a software developer, so he had a need to store large amounts of data. In order to allow all of the computers on his home WiFi network to access the data, he uses a Synology DiskStation NAS with an added expansion drive. This gives him access to about 20TB of storage on the fly, which is always nice, especially when you need to access and store a lot of data.
His iMac and ACD use Ergotron MX Desk Mount LCD arms so that they are just in the right spot. To keep his desk somewhat free of clutter, he uses a Humanscale Freedom task chair, on which he mounted a keyboard rest. There's enough space to put his Apple Magic Trackpad and Razer wireless gaming mouse as well. This means that he can use a variety of different seating positions, while keeping somewhat away from the frosted glass IKEA Galant desk. The SOTO Rails keeps most of his cables out of view, as well as keeping his desk free of unwanted clutter.
- Apple iMac 27″ (2011, 3.4Ghz Core i6/16GB/SSD+HDD)
- Apple 24″ Cinema Display
- 2 × Ergotron MX Desk Mount LCD Arms
- Apple 13″ MacBook Air (Late '10, 2.13Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 256GB SSD)
- TwelveSouth Bookarc
- Apple Wireless Keyboard
- Apple Magic Trackpad
- Razer Mamba wireless gaming mouse
- Razer Kabuto mobile mouse mat
- SmartStrip G4 power strip
- Synology DS1151+ DiskStation NAS
- Synology DX510 ESATA expansion unit
- Pluggable 10-port USB 2.0 hub
- Apple iPad
- Apple iPad dock
- Apple iPhone 4
- Apple iPhone 4 dock
- Astro Mixamp 5.1
- Razer Carcharias gaming headset
- D-Link DSG-2205 Gigabit switch
- Cisco WET-610N wireless bridge
- IKEA Galant Desk (glass white, A-leg, chrome plated)
- SOTO Rails
- Humanscale Freedom Task Chair (w/headrest), ultra-violet color
- Pablo Link Task Lamp,in orange
- Webble ergonomic office footrest
- Bluelounge Cabledrops
- Mobo chair-mounted keyboard tray
- Miró painting