Of all the 'standard' cleaning agents, toilet bowl cleaners are the the ones to bother us the most - for some reason the smell is the most irritating, and the unnatural color, well just unnecessary. Recently Grist tested eight different non-toxic and biodegradable toilet cleaners, find out which one came out on top and whether we agree with their results...The following products were tested for Grist's review:
• Biokleen Soy Toilet Scrub
• Clorox Green Works Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner
• Ecover Ecological Toilet Bowl Cleaner
• Seventh Generation Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner
• Method Lil’ Bowl Blu, Earth Friendly Products Toilet Kleener
• J.R. Watkins Natural Home Care Toilet Bowl Cleaner
• Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Don’t let the Clorox name on this one scare you – there’s no bleach in this product. Like the other Green Works products, it carries the Sierra Club logo and promises natural ingredients. It delivers on Clorox cleaning power, though – producing the cleanest bowl of the bunch. The thick green liquid fully covers the toilet bowl and the mild lemony/lime scent is pleasant. My only complaint would be that it produces long-lasting bubbles that don’t go away, even with a second flush.
We actually do agree that Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day is quite nice, we've also tried Ecover and Method's cute 'Lil Bowl Blu - all of which work great, but Mrs. Meyer's is the best for their well known pleasing scent. Next time we're in need of a new cleaner we'll try out the Clorox Green Works.
(Image by Flickr member Schoolbookdepository)