You have a while until you have to really hand over the keys and watch your kid ride off into the sunset, but here are some starter wheels to consider for toddlers and preschoolers.
1. Ride On with Shape Sorter, $25. A riding toy and sorting toy in one.
2. Wonderworld Ride On Recycling Truck, $120: Made from rubberwood using safe, water-based paint. There is also a firetruck or zebra version.
3. Wishbone Flip Bike, $150: It's a rocker, it's a roller - it's both. Suitable for indoors and outdoors and made from 100% reforested birch plywood.
4. Trike 'n' Trailer, $80: For indoor or outdoor use, kids can ride as just a trike or attach the trailer for moving toys, rocks, etc. around. Made of solid maple.
5. Roly Poly, $150: Made in the USA from maple and ash, this ride on is classic and beautiful.
6. Wheely Bug, $60 (sm) or $70 (lg): On multidirectional castors for easy indoor maneuvering. 5 different animals available.
7. Svan Creativity Cruiser, $80: One of the best looking ride ons out there and can accommodate a wider size range than many riding toys. Also available in natural finish.
8. Rock n Rolla, $63: Starts as a rocker and wheels can be added when your child is ready. Also available as a dog or cow.
9. Mishi Designs Swing Up, $88. Easily converts between a rocker or ride on. In red/blue or green/orange.