As you can see from the above image, my desk really is quite a bit of a mess. In an attempt to get my workspace to a more efficient and tidy place, I looked through our archives to get inspired. I've taken what I've learned and broken it down into 5 steps — now if I could just follow them consistently I'd be all set…
5 Steps to a Cleaner & Tidier Desk:
1. Toss Stuff You Don't Need. This might seem like a no brainer, but reading the tips in this post about cleaning your desk in 5 minutes, I realize that this one has the biggest impact and is probably the one I do the least. By consistently tossing papers and other items that I don't need, I'll keep them from accumulating to clutter up my desk.
2. Place Important Tasks at Eye Level. Instead of lining up post-its filled with tasks on the surface of my desk, I'd do well to heed Laura's advice and to place them at eye level. This will help to remove more items from the desk surface and will keep to-dos from getting ignored as the papers pile up.
3. Prioritize the Top Drawer. By following Mike's lead and putting items that were on the surface of my desk in the top drawer, I would not only save quite a bit of space but it would also most likely cut down on the, ahem, borrowing of my stapler.
4. Purge the Drawers. Speaking of drawers, purging and organizing is key to having a cleaner desk. If the surface is clean but the drawers are messy, disorganized chaos, how is this better? My desk drawers are in need of some serious purging, stat!
5. Break Out the Organizing Accessories. If after following the first 4 tips I still fall short of my organizing goals, perhaps it's time to consider some desk organizing solutions like the ones in this post? Of course, being the thrifty gal that I am, I'm more likely to use some of these great inexpensive ideas from Taryn.
(Images: Joelle Alcaidinho)