Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Style: Cool, calm bedroom
We've come a long way together, and finally we've arrived at the smallest room and the only bedroom in this summer's bunch.
James' room has a very straightforward use of color (reverse accent wall people!), and the Valspar Paint color we went with was, to my mind, a great choice for a calm, but romantic bedroom. James and his wife have a very young son, Elliot, and they've got their hands full, so they wanted a modern, clean space that they could relax in.
This simple palette was meant to clean up the bedroom and bathe it in a soothing color. Using a Dove White for the trim (which has a touch of color in it), the Evening Lilac was inspired by one of James' favorite dress shirts. Though this is a small room, I decided to pull the color around all the two existing walls, which does pull the walls in, but it reads as "cozy" in this bedroom. I love shades of lilac in a bedroom. You sleep really well.
Evening Lilac 1002-5B (main accent wall)
• Dove White 7002-7 (trim)
James' bedroom before
James' bedroom after
"The most challenging part about the redo process was trying to get rid of a ton of stuff that we do not actually need. We had too much clutter that had to go in order for us to realize the space we had. As I speak, we have gotten rid of almost 20% of what we originally had in our room and we continue to find stuff we don't really need."
"Maxwell, thank you for the time and changing the way I look at my living space as well as my resting space. Joe, (and your team ) thank you for bringing the concepts to life! All of you are amazing! Thank you!"
You're welcome, James, and I'm so glad you like it!
Tony Smith of T&S Painting, for his great work. Thanks also to our stylist and expert shopper, Joe Maer, and our photographer, Jim Franco, for pulling the final layers together and showing off the room so well.
- All paint courtesy of Valspar Paint
- Painted wall panel behind bed — Valspar Gossamer Curtain 1002-6C
- Wall art behind bed — West Elm, spray painted with Valspar Black Plum 65087
- Metal wall art — West Elm
- Stone sculpture on books — West Elm
- Rice bowls — James
- Flatscreen TV — Target
- Tall and large vase — IKEA
- Sheepskin — IKEA
- Guitar — James
- Rattan stool and Danish credenza — Kudzu Antique Mall
- Night stands and lamp and vase on nightstand — Kudzu Antique Mall
- Sisal rug — IKEA
- Platform bed and headboard — West Elm
- Bedding — IKEA
- Globe lamp and water decanter and glass — IKEA
- Curtain panels over windows and closet — IKEA
- African sculpture and woven basket and bird carving — James
ABOUT THE INSIDE MAN
We've teamed up with Valspar Paint to create The Inside Man, a special feature dedicated to daily (Monday — Friday) posts from Apartment Therapy and GQ about men's color conundrums and style questions. From sofas with cup holders to brilliant bachelor pads, we’re focusing on the décor dilemmas men often bring to us.
MORE FROM THE INSIDE MAN
• James' Treehouse Bedroom: Phase 3 - The Progress Report
• James' Treehouse Bedroom: Phase 2 - The Prescription
• James' Treehouse Bedroom: Phase 1 - Local Inspiration
• Read more about guy style at theinsideman.apartmenttherapy.com.
• Check out GQ's guide to guy style at gq.com/theinsideman.
Photos: Jim Franco