Name: Nic, Kirsten, Daphne, 3 and Ari, 2 months
Location: Stapleton, Denver Colorado
Size: 1,100 square feet
Years lived in: 11 months; Own
When Nic and Kirsten started house hunting last spring, they never dreamed they could afford a brand new home in one of Denver's most progressive, family-friendly neighborhoods. The Binghams desired a safe, kid-friendly neighborhood for their growing family, but were skeptical about finding exactly what they were looking for in Denver on their very limited budget. But after a bit of research, they discovered they were eligible for the Stapleton Affordable Housing Program and started the process of buying their very first home.
Before signing on the dotted line, the Binghams had to consider a few reasonable requirements that came along with purchasing an income restricted home: the approximate percentage appreciation restriction per year, and the fact that, when they are ready to move, the home must again be sold as an Income Qualified property.
Nic and Kirsten have added fabulous touches to the home (including 2 month old Ari!) since moving in just 11 months ago. A few of my favorite decor elements are the DIY sunburst mirror in the living room and Daphne's "work station" in her and Ari's shared bedroom. The kitchen and bathrooms are slated for paint and artwork in the near future (or just as soon as Kirsten and Nic can get a full night's sleep), but for now the family is busy spending time together at the neighborhood pool and enjoying the summer.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Kid-Friendly Mid Century.
Inspiration: Mad Men and 60's rock & roll.
Favorite Element: The art throughout our house.
Biggest Challenge: MONEY! We are two young graphic designers (plus we have two kids) so I feel like we are far from having our "dream furniture", but we've done a lot with a very limited budget. I don't think we have spent more than $1000 on furniture/decor since moving into our house. Nic and I have never wanted a big house, but eventually we would love to have a small, light filled ranch with beautifully designed furniture.
What Friends Say: We were born in the wrong decade.
Biggest Embarrassment: : The kitchen cabinets, bathrooms (we want to completely re-do them — that is why they are not pictured), our messy band room (converted from a 1-car garage — also not pictured), and our brown "leather" couch which is totally falling apart.
Proudest DIY: My desk. We bought it off of Craigslist for $40 and it was covered in 4 layers of nasty paint. We spent a few days in the garage with my dad stripping, sanding and staining it. I love it so much now
Biggest Indulgence: The sputnik light in our entry and our wood floors which we installed ourselves.
Best Advice: It really doesn't matter what other people think. It's your house — LOVE it.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Behr Dolphin Fin
- • Slat bench: ModMood
• Numbers canvas (our shop: JanuaryJonesprints.etsy.com)
• Mirror: thrift
• Light fixture: Sputnik pendent from Mod Livin'
- • Brown couch: Ikea
• Charcoal love seat: Urban Outfitters
• Warhol poster: Allposters.com
• VW ad: antique fair
• Radio (stand for the red lamp): ModMood
• Wood end table: Will Bussard design
• Arc lamp: cb2
• Desk: Craigslist
• White Eames chair: Mod Livin'
• Yellow ombré rug: shadesoflight.com
• Coffee table: Horseshoe Market
• Record player: Garage sale
• Record stand: ModMood
• Gold sunburst mirror: DIY
• Green chair: estate sale
- • Bed/night stands: Ikea
• Canvas over bed: Kirsten painted for Nic
• Ottoman: Nic's great grandma's
• Rocker: Amazon
• Fan, Globe: Horseshoe Market
• Yellow dresser: Craigslist/DIY
• Ello There, January Jones Prints, Petite Collage & unknown artists (Photo by Nic)
• Typewriter: Thrift
• Record cabinet: yard sale
• Bedding: Crate & Barrel
- • Bunk Bed: Ikea
• Bedding: Ikea
• Bookshelves: Ikea spice rack DIY
• Monster pillow: DIY
• Prints: collageorama, water color by Daphne, Rob Mack & family portrait by BunnyPumpkin
• Toddler bed: Wal-Mart
• Changing table: Ikea
• Changing table pad cover: DIY by Kirsten's sister- fabric: Fancy Tiger Crafts
Thanks, Nic, Kirsten, Daphne and Ari!
(Images: Ashley Poskin )
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.