Ronan and Erwin Bouroullec are known for their award winning conceptual designs that have taken the European design community by storm. The Bouroullec brothers designs incorporate ethereal motifs that give a fluid feel to materials such as plastic and metal.The Bouroullec brothers are rising stars on the European design scene who live and work in Paris. Just in their thirties, this sibling design duo have already had two monographs of their work printed by Phaidon. Despite many collaborations for many big name furniture companies, the brothers continue to explore their experimental work.
From: Brittany, France
- The brothers have very different personalities but a shared perfectionism
- Discovered in 1997 at Salon du Meuble in Paris by Cappellini
- Voted Designers of the Year at the Salon du Meuble in 2002
- Forged a relationship with Vitra in 2002 that saw many iconic pieces created
- Designer of the Year award for Now! Maison & Objet, Paris 2011
- Transformed the Raphael Gallery in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London into a giant textile field for London Design Week in 2011
Quote: "I am totally afraid of the idea of method, I think it is better to be candid. What is really essential for a designer is to have empathy." -Ronan Bouroullec
Attended: École Nationale des Arts Décoratifs in Paris and École des Beaux-Arts in Cergy-Pontoise
Known for: A sophisticated, utilitarian style that reinvents the look of plastic and other industrial materials.
(Images: as linked above)