Beautiful, iconic modern furniture often comes with a staggering price tag. A brand-new Eames lounger will set you back $5,700. Eero Saarinen's womb chair is $6,000. A single Bertoia side chair costs almost $700. So what's a lover of modern design on a modest budget to do?
For those just starting out but wanting to make an investment in a beautiful design that will stand the test of time, here are 10 classic pieces for less than $200.
1. The ingenious simplicity of this 1855 design still feels current. Bentwood chair, $155.
2. This 2003 Tod Boontje design has already made it to the MoMa's permanent collection. Hanging lamp, $100.
3. Kartell's componibili modular storage has been a favorite of designers since 1969. Three-tier componibili, $185.
4. The Aalto bowl's familiar squiggle is both beautiful and whimsical. Small Aalto bowl, $25.
5. Let Kartell's Jolly table add a little playfulness to your room. Acrylic table, $165.
6. A stool version of the classic cafe chair. 18" Tolix stool, $108.
7. This 1985 design showcases the playful style of Michael Graves. Teakettle, $175.
8. Clever, colorful, and practical, an Eames Hang-It-All is great for storage in a small space. Hang-It-All, $199.
9. This little plywood table will hold its own with much larger pieces. Eames LTR table, $199.
10. Long before the louis ghost chair, Kartell made a splash with this affordable and appealingly minimalist design. Molded plastic Bartoli chair, $136.
Images: As credited above.