Purple never really did it for me. When I was younger, girls used to squeal about it being their favorite color. I preferred black. But lately, purple has been persistently grabbing my attention, in décor that ranges from boho-chic to cleanly modern.
Yes, I know, the purple trend hit its peak a few years ago. Maybe it's totally passé by now, but it took me a while to warm up to it. Perhaps it's because spring is in full swing here in Seattle, and purple flowers are blooming everywhere. Or because I finally have my own office/reading room, where I can do anything I want, no input required from my man, who would surely say no way.
I'll admit it in a girlish squeal: I love purple! I'm especially digging bold-but-modernized grape paired with warm wood tones, and the combination of muted lilacs and grays with glossy white.
• Julia Rothman's gray-and-purple "Daydream" wallpaper is so pretty. Sure, you could stick it in a nursery, but I can see it working equally well in a tranquil, feminine bedroom. Or my office. $105 per roll at Hygge & West.
• I have a big crush on this purple fiberglass side chair with maple dowel base, $325 at Modernica.
• Erin Tyner's prints portray captivating miniature worlds. I love them all, but especially her purple one. "May" at Supermarket HQ, $25.
• Part of Areaware's popular Fauna collection, the Pico Owl pillow gets a little edgy with orange and purple ink. $28 at Velocity Art and Design.
• No big surprise that Anthropologie has an impressive selection of purple. Though a major splurge, this tufted-wool "Ode to Pollen" rug by French designer Nathalie Lete captures purple in all its glory. $2,998
• Purple and velvet remind me of Prince. This headboard in Aubergine practically insists on bedroom action. $349 at Urban Outfitters.
• This hand-printed silk lampshade from Scotland casts moody shadows when illuminated at night. Purple Woodland with Hares by Orwell and Goode, $75.
• A curvy modern vase with purple interior accent from New York ceramicist Kim Westad is subtle and glam; it's also watertight and perfect for simple floral arrangements; $120 on Etsy.