The Cooper Hewitt is one of those rare museums that looks not only to the past, but to the future as well. Their annual National Design Awards Program honors living luminaries in the fields of graphic design, product design, interior design, architecture, and more. Museum Director Bill Moggridge just announced this year's winners, a short-list of influential talent that includes…
… architecture firm Architecture Research Office, interior designers Shelton, Mindel & Associates, landscape architects Gustafson Guthrie Nichol, author Steven Heller, and Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, typeface designer Matthew Carter.
2011 DESIGN AWARD WINNERS & FINALISTS
• Lifetime Achievement: Matthew Carter
• Design Mind: Steven Heller
• Corporate and Institutional Achievement: Knoll
• Architecture Design: Architecture Research Office
• Communication Design: Rick Valicenti
• Fashion Design: J. Mendel
• Interaction Design: Ben Fry
• Interior Design: Shelton, Mindel & Associates
• Landscape Design: Gustafson Guthrie Nichol
• Product Design: Continuum
Award recipients will be honored at a dinner on October 20th at Pier Sixty in New York. To learn more about the award winners and see the full list with finalists, click here.
Images: Michael Moran (1), Lajos Geenan (2), Baden Copeland (3), Foster + Partners (4), and Steve Marsel (5) via Cooper Hewitt