Living room home offices might sound less than ideal (no separation of work and relaxation), but they're often necessary you're a small space dweller. It is in fact a setup we have in our own home right now; we had to get rid of a lot of stuff and make some serious compromises to get it up and working (no TV). Thus, we're a bit envious about Eddy's workstation up above, which presents a seamless and aesthetic workspace presence in the middle of a living space...
Eddy is a web designer from Hamburg, Germany, and he's managed to pull off a living room home office that's simple, yet effective. Most of his furniture is pretty uncomplicated, but it just gels together, thanks to the smart way that the room was organized. He put his workstation to one side of the living room, while his home entertainment center was placed right next to it. This allows him to use his main computer workstation and stream media to his HDTV.
Eddy uses a simple A-frame desk as his workstation. His main computer powers three monitors, arranged in semi-circle. His computer is a Hackintosh, and it's powerful enough to fulfill his needs as a web designer. When he wants a change, he uses his IBM Thinkpad, which he upgraded and customized so that it's still pretty quick.
A Western Digital HD-Box was configured to allow him to easily stream media all over his WiFi home network. Here's how he customized his setup (instructions are in German, but they can be translated). This hacks his HD-Box into a webserver, which can be very useful when you want a cheap way to stream HD media over WiFi.
• Simple A-frame desk, like the IKEA Vika Amon/Lerberg combination, although A-frames are made out of wood.
• Main Computer running OS X Lion (Intel Core i5 2500 4x 3,3Ghz, Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, RAM: 2×4GB, Graphics: Sapphire ATI HD5770 Vapor-X 1Gb DDR5, Hard drives: OCZ Vertex 2 128Gb, 1Tb Western Digital Eco, 74Gb Western Digital Raptor)
• External hard drive 2TB Western Digital Eco
• Monitors: 2×Eizo S1901, Dell U2311H
• Speakers: Teufel Concept E2 5.1
• Input Devices: Apple Keyboard, Logitech MX518
• IBM Thinkpad R50p laptop running Windows 7
• HDTV LG 32" LG3000
• iPhone 4 16gb
• Xbox 360
MORE LIVING ROOM HOME OFFICES
Living Room Home Offices: The How and the Why
IKEA Jonas as a Living Room Desk
Chris & Erin's Living Room Home Office
The Coffee Table Home Office
Meticulous and Modern Worstation