San Francisco's gearing up for its first Target, which I expect will be mayhem but great for us nondrivers. In true SF indie fashion, the big shop is partnering up with little shops, like the Mission District's Curiosity Shoppe, for limited-edition home collections. Here are a few of my favorite pieces from the Americana-inspired collection (available in all Targets Sept. 9) from Lauren and Derek, owners of Curiosity. Plus, a super-easy DIY using one of their (or your) tea towels. Enjoy!
Curiosity Shoppe's Tea Towel Tote Bag
What You Need:
- 1 tea towel
- 1.5 yards of 1" cotton webbing
- Sewing Machine
- Fold tea towel in half, right sides together.
- Using a half-inch seam allowance, stitch up the sides of the towel, back-stitching at the beginning and end of each seam. Turn bag right side out.
- Cut the webbing in half to make the 2 straps.
- Pin the ends of each strap 1" down from the top of the bag and 3" in from sides, making sure they're not twisted.
- Attach the ends of each strap by stitching a square around the edges of the 1" tail of webbing, removing the pins as you go.
(Images: 1-3: Target, 4: Derek Fagerstrom)