We recently came across a list of the top 10 dirtiest things that we routinely touch that had us reaching for the anti-bacterial soap. Surprisingly 9 of the top 10 items are your own, either in your household or in your pocket. We highlight some of the scary items on the list and techniques to stay clean and healthy. Yuck.
Ranker's "Top 10 Dirtiest Things You Touch Every Day" lists in order:
- Light Switch
- Computer Keyboard
- Cell Phone
- Toilet Seat
- Shopping Cart
- Remote Control
- Kitchen Sink
- Kitchen Sponge
"Keeping hands clean is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of infection and illness." The Centers for Disease Control actually has pages and pages on proper techniques for washing your hands. The Mayo Clinic also stresses hand washing, explaining the when and how for those that need a little reminder.
Check out these great cleaning tips from Unplggd that deep clean some of the items from the list. For your kitchen sponge, we suggest just keeping a stack of spares and separating their tasks, replacing often. You can send all your dirty money to us, care of Jason Yang at Apartment Therapy Unplggd.
Clean Your Keyboard
- 5 Ways to Clean Your Keyboard
- Cyber Clean Keyboard Cleaner
- How To: Clean your Keyboard
- What Do You Do When Coffee Meets Computer Keyboard?
- Use a Mascara Brush to Clean Keyboards
- No More Crumbs with the Keyboard Napkin
- Clean Your Keyboard with Tape or a Sticky Note
- How to Deep Clean Your Apple Keyboard
- NPR Asks: Can You Clean Your Keyboard in the Dishwasher?
- Keyboard Cleaning Tools (That are Free!)
- How Often Do You Clean Your Mouse and Keyboard?
- OneClean Keyboard Cleaner
- Final Frame: How NOT to Clean Your Keyboard
Clean Your Cell Phone
- Start the New Year Right: Keeping Your Devices Clean
- Isopropyl Alcohol: The Super Hero of the Tech Cleaning World
- 5 Parts of Your Home Tech You Probably Never Clean
Clean Your Bathroom
- Day 16: Clean One Room (The 20/20 Home Cure)
- The Self Cleaning Toilet Seat
- 4 Ways To Automate Your Bathroom Cleaning
- iRobot Scooba 230
- Re(al)view: Germ Guardian's UV-C Pluggable Air Sanitizer
Clean Your Remote Control
More Cleaning Tips from Unplggd
- Why a Clean Computer is More Than Cosmetic
- How to Deep Clean Your Desk Chair
- How To Clean Stainless Steel Appliances
- Stream: A Smarter Way for Kids to Wash Their Hands
- Steam Cleaners That Will Clean Almost Anything
- Hoover Enhanced Clean Disinfecting Mop