I wasn't expecting to end up at the grocery store, but now that I'm here I guess I'll just have to take a bag. Sound familiar? Take this Disposable Bag Addiction Test to see if you have successfully kicked the habit or are a work in progress.
Please note that "disposable" refers to paper or plastic bags intended for a single-use. No cheating!
1. Have you ever chosen to continue to use disposable bags despite one or more disposable bag failures?
2. Do the choices "paper or plastic" feel like the only ones available?
3. Do you fear the inconvenience associated with ditching disposable bags?
4. Have purchases that could easily fit in your hand, pocket, or purse ended up in a disposable bag?
5. Do you request the "double bag" feature for heavy items?
6. Do your reusable bags tend to be "forgotten" when needed most?
7. Have you made a resolution or commitment to quit your disposable bag habit, but haven't fully kicked it yet?
8. Have you ever shifted the blame to the bagger or store for your habit?
9. Have you ever succumbed to pressure by the bagger to take a bag?
10. Do you feel depressed, guilty, or remorseful after you use or throw away a disposable bag?
11. Have you ever purged your house of your disposable bags, only to find them reappear a few weeks later?
12. Do you hide your disposable bags in cabinets, closets, or drawers?
13. Have you ever felt awkward refusing a bag when offered?
14. Have you ever lied to or misled those around you about how much or how often you use disposable bags?
15. Do you usually have "good" reasons for using disposable bags?
16. Have your fingers turned blue from carrying too many disposable bags at once?
17. Have you ever recycled your disposable bags and thought that your impact was a wash?
18. Have you ever conspired with friends about how disposable bags are more convenient?
19. Have you tried to control your disposable bag intake by switching between paper and plastic?
20. Have you ever decided to stop using for a week or more, but only lasted a few days?
If you responded "Yes" to any of the above questions, then we're here to say that a) we've been there, too, and b) we recommend either making your own reusable bags, or checking out some of the amazing and beautiful ones that just wait to adorn your purse, murse, backpack, and pockets!
So, how did you do?
- Cleaning Your Reusable Bags
- Green Dilemma: Too Many Reusable Bags
- Reusable Shopping Bags Testing High in Lead
- 5 Tools To Help You Remember Your Reusable Bags
- 10 Ways to Remember Your Reusable tote
Adapted from Chico Bag.