I love the Philippines. I married into a Filipino family, and some of my favorite trips are visiting their family and friends back home. I won't lie; Manila isn't the top of my list for prettiest cities in the world; in fact it's far from it. As a gateway to the rest of the country, however, it arguably takes you to the most beautiful places you'll ever go in your lifetime.
I dream about the many islands, along with eating fresh fruit, snorkeling in clear blue water, and lazily sitting on the beach. Inside, I think of natural materials like rattan, lots of capiz (pressed shell), and light gauzy fabrics. It's all about using what's local, and keeping cool.
1. White gauze fabric from Fabric Direct
2. Capiz pendant light from Shop Furbish
3. Dagmay cloth via United Blogs of Benetton
4. Pineapple via Shutterstock
5. Framed Butterflies from Bouf
6. Lanao Rug from Crate & Barrel
7. Rice Mortar from 1stdibs
8. Photo Installation by Alfredo Aquilizan via Nile Guide
9. Rattan Bed by Kenneth Cobonpue
(Images: as credited above)