Inside Urban Green, and you can see how passionate he is on this one subject. Here are his main reasons for advocating SIP systems in cities:
- Nutrients are not washed away as they are with conventional planters and watering.
- Up to 90 percent of the water put in is used by the plant, rather than lost through the drainage of a conventional planter.
- Since water is contained in a reservoir and does not drain out or evaporate, these systems need far less watering.
- Plants can access the water reservoirs as they need, which helps plants deal with the extremes of heavy sun and heat.
- By drawing water up from the bottom, the top of the soil stays dry and reduces the occurrence of certain garden pests.
- The contained system is perfect for gardening in areas with contaminated soil, which is very common in city plots.