Oregon blogger resurrection fern offers the following tutorial for those who want felted rocks without the peril of rubbing their fingers raw.
• Small smooth rocks
• Wool fleece or roving
• Hot water
• Liquid soap
• An old pair of stockings or nylons
• A washing machine
Time: 1 hour
• Take a large bowl or fill the sink with hot soapy water.
• Take a stone and wrap it with wool fleece, making sure to cover all directions of the stone. Usually about 3 or 4 layers.
• Wet the stone in the hot soapy water and gently rub the stone in your hand for a few minutes until it seems wet, soapy and smooth.
• Do not rinse, just set aside. Cover as many stones as you want.
• Starting with the toe of a stocking, place a fleece covered rock snugly in the stocking and tie with a string in order to separate the stones so they don't felt together.
• Place this rock-filled stocking in your washing machine, put the setting on hot, and low water level and start the wash cycle (this has never damaged the machine).
• When the cycle is done, remove the stocking. Hang to dry or remove the stones first, whichever you prefer.
Vary the method buy using multicolored fleece or by adding a thin vein of a contrasting color to make it look like a faux sea stone.