Baking soda is an absolute miracle. I'm in cleaning rehaul of my condo ever since Seattle was snowed in for a week, and then consequently, plumbers and flooding abounded. It's old news the Baking Soda is used as a cure all (I whiten my teeth with it after too much coffee), but after some research, I realized just how many amazing things it can be used for. There is such a wide range of household baking soda tricks from drain cleaning to paint preparation, but here are a few of my favorites. Feel free to add your own ideas!
• Sprinkle baking soda over smelly/dirty carpets, let sit overnight, then vacuum. Removes smells and freshens!
• Clean up Fido's accident by scrubbing baking soda into the carpet with warm water and a brush. Vacuum after it is dry.
• Add baking soda to the vacuum bag to combat odors.
Glassware & Silver
• For stubborn water stains on wine glasses and crystal, fill your dishwasher's soap container with baking soda and turn on a normal, hot wash. Glass will come out sparkling!
• Using three parts baking soda, and one part water, rub silver pieces thoroughly, rinse and buff with a dry cloth. (This tip is also useful for gold and silver jewelry).
Laundry & Textiles
• Add a fourth of a cup to a warm wash to combat stains and odors. This works best with whites.
• Sprinkle stale, winter blankets with soda, roll and set for several hours. Then fluff in a cool dryer. Store blankets like this throughout the summer as well!
• After a vacation, put an open box of baking soda into your empty suitcase to keep fresh for your next trip.
Image: Arm & Hammer