When I signed the lease on my first apartment big enough to house an actual dining room table, I circled furniture stores with a crumpled magazine page picturing a large table surrounded by six dramatic black Windsor chairs. The look may have been out of my budget at the time, but I've never lost my love for the classic chair design — now being creatively re-interpreted by a growing group of talented modern designers.
Contemporary interpretations of the Windsor are nothing new — Paul McCobb and George Nakashima created stunning pieces in the middle of last century — designs most certainly being nodded at by these newer works. Somehow the style never tires of being translated into new forms.
1. Windsor Chair in 4 colors by Christopher Specce for Matter
2. The Burnham Windsor Chair designed by Matthew Hilton for De La Espada
3. The Comback Chair by Patricia Urquiola for Kartell
4. The Atlantic Lowback from O&G Studio
5. Cast Aluminum Lyla Side Chair by Oly Studio
MORE WINDSOR CHAIRS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Windsor Chairs: Classic, Contemporary & Conceptual
• Windsor Chairs, High and Low
• Windsor Chairs & Their Modern Influence
• Windsor Chairs, Swedish Stick Back Chairs & Variations