The PaperClip Table, designed by Massimo and Lella Vignelli in 1994, of course takes as its own model the classic mid-century table with hairpin legs. But by joining a whole set of hairpin legs in the center as a kind of pedestal, the Vignelli design adds a fun, modern twist.
For those who can't afford the Knoll table's $1,000-plus price tag, CB2 and Urban Outfitters both carry their own similar, smaller version, a side table with hairpin legs bunched at the center. And what about a DIY option? Well, hairpin legs are readily available online... find a tabletop, get to work on your own PaperClip-inspired design, and you're good to go!
The options, from high to low to DIY, pictured above...
• 1 The small PaperClip Cafe Table from Knoll runs at $1,045 from Allmodern.
• 2 The PaperClip's precursor (of sorts): a 1950's-era table with hairpin legs and a crazy marble top. $295 on 1st Dibs.
• 3 CB2's cute Paperclip Side Table, with its walnut veneer top, is available for $199.
• 4 The De La Tour side table at Urban Outfitters has sleek chrome hairpin legs. $150.
• 5 Ian Maclean, an Ohio-based cabinetmaker and metal fabricator, sells handmade hairpin legs, ranging from $14 to $34 apiece, on his site.